Monday, December 15, 2014

Equine Dental Radiography

     Imaging of the equine skull has always been challenging for the equine practitioner. However, with the development of portable digital xray sensors (DR systems), the ability to obtain diagnostic images in the field has greatly improved. This is a brief explanation of the positioning required for diagnostic equine dental imaging and a review of the radiographic anatomy of the skull and radiographic signs of dental disease.




Positioning for equine dental radiographs

I created this paper for the American Veterinary Dental College/Equine Specialty: Dental Radiographic Techniques for the Horse. I also recently presented a short paper at the annual meeting of the American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP): How to obtain diagnostic radiographic study of the equine cheek teeth:



During the past year I upgraded my radiography equipment for both small animals and horses with the purchase of Cuattro DR systems for the small animal clinic and the equine ambulatory service. This has made a tremendous difference our ability to consistently obtain diagnostic images. 

Practitioners who would like assistance with obtaining diagnostic images of the skull should feel free to contact me. I would be glad to assist in your interpretation of dental images, which can be sent to my email: rbaratt1dvm@gmail.com.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,
    Great looking blog. Missed the AAEP this year, had left shoulder replacement surgery. Looking forward to discussing more dental cases with you in this firmat.
    What are you using these days to document your cases with digital photos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ron,
    I use a Nikon Coolpix (shockproof and waterproof) for regular photos and intraoral shots with a speculum and cheek/tongue retraction. This camera has been a workhorse for me, and I have dropped it many times.
    In the last year I got some help and put together an oral endoscopy system that I really think is the bee's knees. Your interest stimulated me to write it up as another post, which you should be able to access now. I really can't imagine doing without this imaging modality now.
    Good luck in your shoulder rehab,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete